10 Factors to consider while choosing a Domain Hosting Company in Kenya
Domain hosting, also known as web hosting, refers to the service of providing storage and server space for websites on the internet. When you create a website, you need a place to store all the files, images, and data that make up your site. This is where domain hosting comes into play. Here are some key points to understand while choosing a domain hosting company in kenya:
- Domain Name: A domain name is the web address that people use to access your website (e.g., www.example.com). You can purchase domain names from domain registrars like Webcom Kenya, GoDaddy and many other registrars.
- Web Hosting: Web hosting is the service that allows you to store your website’s files and data on servers. These servers are typically provided by web hosting companies. When you sign up for web hosting, you’re essentially renting space on their servers to make your website accessible to the world.
- Server Resources: Web hosting plans can vary in terms of server resources like storage space, bandwidth, processing power, and more. The type of hosting you choose (shared hosting, VPS, dedicated hosting, etc.) will determine the resources available to your website.
- Website Files: To create a website, you’ll need HTML files, images, scripts, and databases. These files are stored on the web hosting server, and when someone enters your domain name in a web browser, the server delivers these files to the visitor’s browser, which then displays the website.
- Domain and Hosting Integration: To make your website accessible online, you need to connect your domain name to your hosting server. This involves configuring DNS settings to point the domain to the hosting provider’s server.
- Types of Hosting: There are different types of web hosting, including:
- Shared Hosting: Multiple websites share resources on the same server.
- Virtual Private Server (VPS) Hosting: Offers a dedicated portion of a server’s resources.
- Dedicated Hosting: You have an entire server dedicated to your website.
- Cloud Hosting: Resources are distributed across multiple servers for scalability and reliability.
When choosing a domain hosting company in Kenya, there are several factors to consider to ensure that you make the right decision for your website. and below are 10 of those factors to consider.
- Server Uptime: Look for a hosting company that guarantees a high server uptime, ideally 99.9% or higher. Downtime can affect your website’s accessibility.
- Speed and Performance: Check the hosting provider’s infrastructure to ensure your website loads quickly. This can affect user experience and SEO.
- Scalability: Ensure that the hosting company can accommodate your needs as your website grows. You should be able to easily upgrade your hosting plan.
- Security: Your hosting company should provide security features like SSL certificates, firewalls, and regular backups to protect your website and data.
- Customer Support: Reliable customer support is crucial. Test their responsiveness and availability, especially if you encounter technical issues.
- Pricing: Compare pricing plans to find one that fits your budget. Be cautious of very cheap hosting, as it may come with limitations.
- Data Centers: Hosting servers should be located in or near Kenya to reduce latency and improve website performance.
- Domain Registration: Check if the hosting company provides domain registration services, which can simplify management.
- Control Panel: Ensure they offer an easy-to-use control panel for managing your website, such as cPanel or Plesk.
- Reviews and Reputation: Research customer reviews and the hosting company’s reputation in Kenya to get an idea of their track record.
Additionally, consider your specific needs, such as the type of website you’re running (e.g., e-commerce, blog, or business site) and any software requirements (e.g., WordPress, Joomla, or Drupal). Tailoring your choice to your specific needs will help you find the best domain hosting company in kenya for hosting your website